Some employers will decide to just pay the government fines and quit providing insurance, while up to 35 million Americans may lose their employer-based insurance with no guarantee of a resulting pay raise. The Congressional Budget Office has just announced that the cost of Obamacare will be at least double what we were told prior to the passing of the law. Waivers have been given to many “friends” of our President, mostly to companies employing union members.
Unbridled power now rests in the hands of the Secretary of Health and Human services to mandate any regulation she desires, such as free birth control and the new requirement for free sterilizations for college-age females. The Independent Payment Advisory Board’s appointed “experts” will determine which treatments are in their view worthy of the expense of care in relation to the expected length of life of each patient.
Some free market solutions to our health care problems without Big Brother include:
1) Making legal the sale of health insurance across state lines. This will cause great competition for customers resulting in lower costs to the insured.
2) Enrolling the approximately 12 million Americans who now qualify for Medicaid and S-Chip but who have not yet enrolled
3) Insurance portability - the ability of those who are insured to keep their current insurance policy when they change jobs or are laid off, greatly reducing the number of people who can’t get new insurance because of a pre-existing condition, for they will continue the insurance they already had.
4) Enhancing health care for the uninsured thru government insurance, vouchers, tax credits, and more free clinics.
5) Allowing small businesses and individuals to join a larger group for lower-priced insurance coverage, known as Association Health Plans.