Tuesday, June 21, 2011
Waivers will not continue to be written; Middle schoolers required to answer sex survey; House forces government contractors to us labor unions; University of Colorado exaggerates affects of global warming; Obama's governement plans for recovery; Texas avoids lightbulb ban
The San Francisco Chronicle wrote: A program that allows McDonald's Corp., the world's largest restaurant chain, and the insurer Cigna Corp. to avoid providing the minimum health coverage mandated by last year's overhaul will stop accepting applicants in September, the government said today.
Companies that already have exemptions from the mandate will be able to continue their "mini-med" health plans with annual maximum coverage of $10,000. The health-care overhaul signed last year by President Barack Obama raised the minimum coverage level to $750,000 for those who weren't granted the waivers.
The government is closing down the program because there's no need for new applications, Steve Larsen, director of the Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight, said during a call with reporters. "For the vast majority of plans that would need a waiver, those are the ones that would have applied and did apply this year," said Larsen, whose office is implementing the law's regulations on health insurers.