Saturday, July 9, 2011
Social Agendas in American schools
Those who visit my “news service” at conservativecorner-karen.blogspot.com will read part of columns from around the world, with links provided to give access to the entire column. They are not my words. My statements are in italics and in brackets. We all read and hear liberal views on mainstream media every day. I focus on balancing that information with conservative views. On the basis of many articles posted in the past 2 ½ years, I recently made a statement about social agendas in schools in America, an undeniable fact for those who have followed my Corner.
I never condemned northern Michigan schools, for I have not found any reason to do so. We may be blessed here in northern Michigan to have fine schools with wonderful teachers teaching good American values as well as reading, writing and arithmetic. Wonderful! Do we still recite the Pledge of Allegiance here? I study the national scene. Much of what is happening in our nation’s schools can only be discovered by research. It is good for us all that Mr. Melvin presents his views on Michigan politics. We can judge for ourselves on the issues. I would never describe his ideas as something to be shoveled, however, as he did mine. I agree that my reports are outrageous, uncomfortable, disturbing, and not appreciated by some. But they are legitimate news items written in legitimate newspapers and websites. Here are some items of interest from former postings:
1) A middle school in Massachusetts required children to complete a graphic sex survey without the knowledge of their parents.
2) At an elementary school in Oakland, officials allowed Gender Spectrum to tell kindergartners that sexuality “is what they want it to be, not necessarily what nature endowed them to be”. This is none of a public school’s business – instructing on sex practices. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/25/gender-diversity-lesson-california-school-riles-critics/
3) A downstate Michigan school which expects parents to teach their children the alphabet found the time to hold an information session telling even preschoolers that a kindergartner they had never met had died of swine flu. Students were told that if they just hugged someone, they would be okay. Isn’t death a subject which only parents should have the right to discuss with their children?
4) Arizona passed a law banning classes (for primarily Latino students) in kindergarten thru 12th grade that promoted the overthrow of the U.S. government. Texts there referred to “White People” as “oppressors” who oppress Latino people. http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/06/15/20110615arizona-ethnic-studies-violates-law-chief-says.html#ixzz1PRFJYV2N
5) The Progressive Forum in Sacramento, with Frances Fox Piven of Cloward and Piven fame, in April held a national Fight Back Teach-In focused on austerity, debt, corporate greed and What You Can Do About It. Among others, students from Brown University ‘s Student Labor Alliance attended online. Our future teachers are hereby being indoctrinated. http://progressiveforum07.blogspot.com/2011/03/teach-in-april-5-national-effort.html
6) The San Francisco Chronicle wrote about an elementary school lesson on gender diversity featuring all-girl geckos and transgender clownfish. This is stealth indoctrination.
7) Redwood Heights Elementary School students at every grade level were introduced to the topic of gender diversity. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/23/BAI51JJQ35.DTL#ixzz1NMeLdzEq
8) The U.S. Department of Education, the EPA, and the Council for Environmental Quality is developing school criteria which will indoctrinate our children to the beliefs of our government concerning global warming and the environment.
9) Van Jones’ “Speak Truth to Power” human rights curriculum was introduced to over 1000 middle and high school students in New York, focusing on corporate greed, Chinese labor camps and abolishing the death penalty. http://biggovernment.com/kolson/2010/12/13/ny-schools-human-rights-curriculum-features-van-jones/#more-206369
10) New York City special investigator for schools reported that in 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005 and 2007 spring break trips to Cuba were taken by public-school students, with permission from the school and the Department of Education. “You know, Ms. Lacey, I’m a communist,” he told the reporter. http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/20/communist-teacher-blamed-for-improper-trip-to-cuba/.
11) America’s Safe School Czar, appointed by President Barack Obama, was Kevin Jennings, known in Massachusetts for his GayLesbianStraightEducationNetwork Conference in which teens were given information on hard-core, unorthodox, (unprintable here) sexual practices. That doesn’t make me feel our children are being protected at all. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/09/23/critics-assail-obamas-safe-schools-czar-say-hes-wrong-man-job#ixzz1Qt0cEEEq
12) This was learned after the column was printed: Illinois will no longer test for writing skills in schools, only reading and math.
We can keep our blinders on, or we can dare to learn what is happening elsewhere, preparing for the day when it might be attempted here.